NEW YORK (May 8, 2013) -- Former Baylor Lady Bear Brittney Griner was named one of 10 finalist Monday for the SPORTS ILLUSTRATED 2012-13 SI College Athlete of the Year. The award will celebrate one female and one male collegiate student athlete who have achieved athletic distinction and have had an outsized impact in the classroom or in their communities.
Griner, the number one overall pick in this year's WNBA draft, swept all of the nation's player awards the last two seasons and ended her four-year career as the NCAA's top shot blocker (748) and female dunker (18) and ranks No. 2 on the NCAA Division I women's scoring chart with 3,283 career points. Griner averaged 22.2 points, 8.8 rebounds and 5.1 blocks per game during her college career.
The finalists, chosen by SI editors, include six seniors, two sophomores and two juniors who competed during the 2012-2013 academic year.
The College Athlete of the Year winners will be featured in the May 27 issue of SPORTS ILLUSTRATED, which hits newsstands on Wednesday, May 22. Profiles on the winners, including videos will also be featured on SI.com on May 22. Beginning on May 8, fans can vote online for their favorite athletes.
• Liz Brenner, volleyball, basketball, softball and track and field, University of Oregon
• Kimberlyn Duncan, track and field, LSU
• Brittney Griner, basketball, Baylor University
• Loren Shealy, field hockey, University of North Carolina
• Taylor Thornton, lacrosse, Northwestern University
• Trey Burke, basketball, University of Michigan
• Kyle Dake, wrestling, Cornell University
• Khaled Holmes, football, USC
• Drew LeBlanc, ice hockey, St. Cloud State University
• Tyler Thornton, basketball, Duke University