Some quick thoughts from signing day:
* I need to buy a louder alarm. I slept through my 5:00 a.m. alarm. I instead woke up at 6:12 a.m. I was scheduled to go LIVE on the morning show at 6:15 a.m. That makes for a bit of a problem. Somehow I made it from my house to Midway High School for the second live shot by 6:35 a.m. I didn't break any traffic laws in doing so (wink, wink).
* Watching families celebrate a signing never gets old for me. I love seeing the joy on a Mom or Dad's face when they see that their "baby" is finally realizing the dream of earning a college scholarship. I talked to one Mom who said her son will be the first person in their family to attend college, and football made that happen. That made me smile.
* Art Briles is fired up! I wasn't there, but from the tape I watched, Briles seems to be VERY excited about his latest recruiting class. And for good reason. I think this might be the strongest class the Bears have had in years.
* I'm happy for Ahmad Dixon. I know the recruiting process has been a long and wild one for him. But now he has a home at Baylor. If he does well at BU, and if the Bears start winning more games, this could end up being huge for this area. More and more local stars might think twice before they head off to other Division I colleges.
* I also want to thank all of the local high school coaches and athletic directors. They do a great job of letting us know when and where the signings will be. Without them, national signing day would be a whole lot tougher.