The first high school football games in Central Texas are just two months away. So with that in mind, I've come up with five things I'm looking forward to this season. Here you go:
* Time To Shine For Temple - I'm looking forward to seeing how the Temple football team does this year. The Wildcats underachieved in 2009. Even though they had one of the most explosive running backs in the nation (Lache Seastrunk), Temple went just 4-6 and they missed out on the playoffs. Can they bounce back? Can they get people around the state talking about the "blue front white back" boys again? I don't know, but I can't wait to see how it plays out.
* Year Two Of Danny Ramsey - Waco High football coach Danny Ramsey had a rough first season. He was suspended one game by the school district, and his team went just 2-8. Missing out on the playoffs and winning just two games isn't exactly what Waco High fans are used to seeing. So Coach Ramsey knows he needs to get it turned around. Can he do it in 2010? I have a sneaking suspicion that he will. Keep in mind, Ramsey radically changed the offense at Waco High. After years of a power running attack under Coach Tusa, Ramsey went to the spread. That kind of change can be painful at times. And it certainly was for the Lions. After another year in the system and productive spring practices, I would be shocked if Waco High doesn't look a lot better this year. I would also be very surprised if they don't make it back to the playoffs.
* The Gang Is Back Together - I'm looking forward to seeing the old 17-3A gang back together after spending two years apart. 19-3A has China Spring, Connally, Gatesville, La Vega, Lorena, and Robinson in it. There isn't a district in the area that has more natural rivalries in it than this one. Every week you get great matchups. Circle your calendar for November 5th. That's when China Spring plays at La Vega. You might remember what happened the last time these two powerhouses played:
* One Brutal District - I'm looking forward to covering district 12-2AD1. I'm not sure if there's a tougher, more loaded district in all of Central Texas (Academy, Florence, Hearne, Marlin, McGregor, Troy, Cameron Yoe). You could make a case for almost all of those teams making the playoffs this year. But only three will survive. This should be a blast watching this year.
* Cowboys Stadium - The 3A, 4A, and 5A state championship games will be played at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington this year. I know that now all fans, players, and coaches are crazy about the idea, but I love it. So here's hoping that we have a few Central Texas teams playing at Jerry-World this December. I can't think of a better place to spend the weekend before Christmas.
What are you looking forward to seeing this football season? Let me know what you think in the comments section.