Although temperatures are starting to warm up, this has been a very cold start to the year. Central Texas is not the only place that has had to deal with bitterly cold temperatures and winter weather, but most of the world has been affected by this cold spell. Mike Hoffman, a meteorologist at our sister station in South Bend, Indiana, gathered some very interesting information about this world wide cold snap.
- Almost 2000 record lows or record "cold" highs have been set in the United States since January 1st
- Key West, FL hit 42...that is the 3rd coldest temperature EVER recorded there since 1873
- Mexico's National Weather Service is calling this the "coldest winter in 124 years"
- Havana, Cuba hit 39 degrees on January 13th, the coldest temperature EVER recorded there.
- Guatemala's Tajumulco Volcano has snow on it for the first time in memory
- Great Britain: The worst snows in half a century
- Beijing, China has enlisted 300,000 people to help clear their streets of heavy snow
Those are just some of the interesting facts he found. He goes on to talk about whether or not he thinks this unusual weather is due to “Global Warming” or “Climate Change.” If you want to read his full blog just go to http://www.wndu.com/blogs/weather/81295192.html