White House West Wing Evacuated Because Of Smoke

WASHINGTON (May 11, 2013)--Reporters and photographers were evacuated early Saturday from the West Wing of the White House because of smoke from a faulty piece of equipment.

At around 7 a.m. Saturday, smoke was seen coming out of a mechanical room closet on the first floor, U.S. Secret Service spokesman Max Milien said.

Journalists and others were evacuated out of "an abundance of caution" and the District of Columbia Fire Department was called.

People were allowed back into the building about an hour later.

Officials say a transformer in the mechanical room overheated.

No injuries were reported and White House officials say President Barack Obama and his family were not affected by the incident.


Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 207048321 - kwtx.com/a?a=207048321
Gray Television, Inc.