Elderly couple found dead in Hewitt home filled with carbon monoxide

By  | 

HEWITT, Texas (KWTX) Police Thursday said the investigation into the deaths of an elderly Hewitt man and his wife who were evidently the victims of a tragic accident continues.

(Photo by Rissa Shaw)

The two were found dead inside their home on Aug. 10.

The couple has been identified as Phillip and Evelyn Barnhill.

Hewitt police Chief Jim Devlin said a home health care worker who tried to get in touch with the couple, drove to the home on Laredo Drive but couldn’t get anyone to answer the door.

The worker, did, however, notice a vehicle running in the home’s closed garage.

The worker notified Hewitt police, who went to the scene and forced entry to the home.

They found the 85-year-old man and his 81-year-old wife dead, in separate rooms inside the house.

"It took the fire department about two-and-a-half hours to air out the residence, so we believe it took a significant amount of time for the carbon monoxide to seep," said Devlin.

"They may not have known what was happening and by the time it got to lethal levels, we kinda feel they probably were asleep."

He said he wants detectives to be thorough in their investigation, however.

“There was no indication of foul play,” Devlin said.

Devlin said, at this point, it appears to be a tragic accident, and diminished mental capacity due to old age was probably a factor.

The vehicle parked in the garage was a newer model Ford 500 sedan.

Police hoped the incident would motivate people to install carbon monoxide detectors in their homes.