KILLEEN, Texas (KWTX) Two people are arrested after an internet dating website meetup turned into a gunpoint robbery at a motel.
Killeen police say the aggravated robbery happened Wednesday just before 7:30 a.m. at the Econo Lodge on 606 E. Central Texas Expressway.
Police say when they arrived they found a man who said he had been planning to meet with a woman through an online dating website.
He told officers when he entered the woman's motel room a man with a gun robbed him.
When officers later entered that motel room they arrested 18-year-old Carletra Agnie Suggs and 22-year-old Dwayne Preston Williams.
Suggs and Williams are both charged with aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon. They're both held on $100,000 bond each in the Bell County Jail.
It's not clear what online dating service was used for the meetup.
The victim's name was not released.
The Killeen police department has listed nine pieces of advice for people planning to meet strangers for online sales or dates.
1. Trust your instincts. If it sounds too good to be true, it normally is.
2. In the case of sales, don't go alone.
3. Insist on meeting at a public place such as the KPD Safe Exchange Zone.
4. Do not meet in a secluded area.
5. Do not invite strangers into your home, and do not go to theirs.
6. Be cautious when buying/selling high value items.
7. Perform the transaction during daylight hours.
8. Tell a friend or family member about your intentions and where you will be.
9. Take your mobile phone with you.