WACO, Texas (KWTX) Bosqueville Elementary School fifth grader Noah Huff is credited with using the Heimlich maneuver to save a classmate who began choking during lunch in the school’s cafeteria.
(Photo by Rhyan Henson)
Michael Purvis was eating spaghetti and meatballs for lunch Tuesday when he started to choke.
“I knew that I had to let my friends know that I was choking so they could help me,” Purvis said.
“I began gesturing to (my) friends that I couldn’t breathe.”
Huff’s Boy Scout training kicked in and he was quick to respond.
"I immediately went for his stomach but it didn't work,” Huff said.
“Then I moved up a little bit. I did it correctly and he started breathing again.”
“He did help,” Purvis said.
“It made me feel good to know I have friends that will actually help when I start choking.”
Meanwhile a third student, Bryan Nelson, also sprang into action.
"If I wouldn't have grabbed an adult and no one would have done anything, he probably would've passed out," Nelson said.
Fortunately Huff learned the lifesaving Boy Scout lesson well.
“They teach it to everyone and I never expected to use it, at least not at the age I am now,” Huff said.