12th-seeded Baylor volleyball (24-7) ended its unprecedented 2017 campaign in the NCAA Second Round with a 3-0 loss to Colorado (24-9) Saturday night at the Ferrell Center, 25-12, 25-22, 25-20.
The Bears were led offensively by Yossiana Pressley and Shelly Fanning, posting 14 and 10 kills, respectively. In the back row, Aniah Philo tied a match-high 14 digs for her second postseason double-digit dig effort.
Katie Staiger became the second player in program history to record 1,700 career kills at Baylor, finishing with one kill against the Buffaloes.
Baylor started slow in the opening frame, falling behind 8-2 after a Colorado service ace. Fanning snapped a 5-0 run with her first kill of the match, but Baylor was forced to play from behind with the Buffalo offense hitting .560. Baylor dropped its worst set loss of the season, 25-12.
BU tangled with CU to open the second set, but three Buffalo kills created some early separation and forced BU to take a timeout, trailing 14-9. Baylor went on a 3-0 run soon after that and pulled within two, but BU would fall just short and head into intermission with a 2-0 deficit.
Baylor jumped out to a 2-1 lead behind kills from Pressley and Tola Itiola, but the Bears couldn’t hold up on the defensive end to fall into a 15-12 hole at the media timeout. Baylor held off a match point with its fourth block of the match before a Colorado block ended it in three sets, 25-20.
• Yossiana Pressley tied a match-high 14 kills to lead the Bears.
• Shelly Fanning had 10 kills on a team-best .368 hitting efficiency in the middle.
• Aniah Philo tied a match-high 14 digs in the back row, leading the team with two double-digit dig performances in the NCAA Tournament.
• Yossiana Pressley, Camryn Freiberg and Shelly Fanning were named to the All-Tournament Team.
• Katie Staiger tallied her 1,700th career kill in the opening set, becoming the second Bear ever to accomplish that mark.
• Seniors Camryn Freiberg and Tola Itiola combined for 10 kills in their final collegiate match.
• BU advanced to the NCAA Second Round for the second consecutive year and moves to 2-2 in postseason matches under McGuyre.
• BU is now 1-1 in postseason matches at the Ferrell Center.
• Baylor is now 10-23 all-time against Colorado and 5-12 in Waco against the Buffaloes.
STAT OF THE MATCH
1,700 – the career kill mark achieved by senior Katie Staiger during Saturday’s match.
TOP QUOTE #1
"I’m not sure we had the chance to put pressure on Colorado since we were playing from behind most of the game. So, when it comes to volleyball, that was the match. I think their strengths were the right kind of strengths to win matches. I think they were taking specific spots away that dared us to hit angles at times, and I think we were a little slow to recognize those opportunities. Credit to their passing, we really didn’t get after it enough on the surface line." -head coach Ryan McGuyre on the match
TOP QUOTE #2
“You don’t want to compare, so to each season its own. You have 20 girls crying in the locker room because they’re mourning. Not all teams are that way, some teams don’t care and are happy the season is over. For us, we’re family, and we just really wanted to extend the season. To know a beautiful part of our lives is over is disappointing, and it hurts. It’s a discouragement. Disappointment is not the end of a journey but the start of something great. God has a beautiful way of turning painful memories into joy when we’re attentive to what he’s trying to have us learn. For these four seniors, their hearts are so inclined to see the beauty in the disappointment and ugliness. They’ve persevered through injuries last year. That’s a huge part of their legacies. When we eventually do win it all, they’ll be a part of that foundation and that message. When we get to go to weddings and reunions, we’re not going to remember the score of this match.” -McGuyre on how this team compares to other teams he’s coached
Baylor ends its 2017 season with a 24-7 overall record.