No. 19 Baylor volleyball (22-5, 12-2 Big 12) pushed its season-best consecutive sets winning streak to 16 before the Bears were forced to fight back from a second-set loss in a 3-1 win over Kansas State (9-18, 2-12 Big 12) Wednesday night at the Ferrell Center, 25-14, 20-25, 25-16, 25-19.
Though the Bears fell one set short of tying the program record set in 2009, freshman Yossiana Pressley set a new career-high 24 kills on a .347 hitting clip and added 10 digs for her first career double-double.
Alongside her was freshman Hannah Lockin who posted her eighth double-double with 36 assists and a career-high 16 digs. Katie Staiger posted nine kills on a .389 attack effort.
BU and K-State were deadlocked at 8-8 early in the first set, but a 7-2 run fueled by Aniah Philo and Jana Brusek at the service line put BU in front at the media timeout, 15-10. A block by Shelly Fanning and Philo prompted a K-State timeout at 18-11, and BU never let the Wildcats get close in a dominant 25-14 win in set one.
Now the winner of 16 consecutive sets, BU struggled to get things going in the second frame. BU trailed at 17-12 before going on a 5-0 run with a Fanning kill to tie up the set. K-State would answer with a 5-0 run of its own en route to taking the set, 25-20.
With the match tied at 1-1, Baylor steadily build a lead behind kills from Tola Itiola, Staiger and Pressley to go up 14-7 and force a K-State timeout. BU kept its distance as it went up 2-1 with a dominant 25-16 win.
Baylor came out fast in the fourth frame, using back-to-back kills from Itiola to force a Wildcat timeout at 14-7. Pressley heated up with three consecutive kills to extend BU’s lead to 15-9, and the Bears held off a late K-State run for the four-set win.
• BU won its sixth-straight Big 12 match and second-straight victory over K-State Wednesday night.
• Baylor snapped a 16-set winning streak, falling one set short of tying the all-time program record set in 2009 (17).
• Yossiana Pressley earned her first career double-double with a career-high 24 kills and 10 digs.
• Hannah Lockin posted her eighth career double-double with 36 assists and a career-high 15 digs.
• Four Bears posted double-digit digs against the Wildcats (Philo, Lockin, Brusek and Pressley).
• Katie Staiger posted nine kills with a .389 attack percentage.
• BU is now 3-0 against the Wildcats in Waco under head coach Ryan McGuyre.
• Baylor took sole possession of second place with the 3-0 win over Kansas.
STAT OF THE MATCH
24 – the amount of kills by Big 12 Offensive Player and Freshman of the Week Yossiana Pressley.
TOP QUOTE #1
“Overall, we were a little flat tonight. When we’re at our best, we want to be able to compete with anybody, and when we’re at our worst, we want to still be able to win. We definitely weren’t at our worst tonight, but we were a little flat. Not our best overall team match, but a win’s a win.” -head coach Ryan McGuyre on the win
TOP QUOTE #2
“We have to put her on the court. She’s been cleared to go, but she hasn’t practiced in a while either. She did a great job. We put her in some uncomfortable positions. She did a great, great job. I was really pleased to see how aggressive she was on defense. Those are things you’re kind of afraid will get lost if you’re sitting down, but her aggressiveness, to me, was great.” –head coach Ryan McGuyre on Katie Staiger
The Bears hit the road for their final Big 12 road match as they face West Virginia Sunday at noon CT at WVU Coliseum.