KWTX, The Breaking News and Weather Authority in Central Texas, has an immediate opening for an Assistant News Director / Assignment Manager. The primary duty of this job is to work closely with the News Director, Managing Editor, Digital Content Director and other staff members in developing relevant editorial content for our number one award-winning daily newscasts and social platforms. This person will help manage newsroom resources, be the general public's primary contact to take information on possible future stories, make calls to follow up on news tips, monitor scanners and a variety of other news sources for breaking news and maintain communication with news crews in the field. Knowledge of social media, internet-based research skills and an ability to cultivate community contacts are a must. We are seeking a highly organized, enthusiastic and experienced candidate with previous news management skills.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Initiating and managing content delivery on multiple platforms
• Executing our breaking news plan when spot news happens
• Tracking stories for future development and follow up
• Listening to police scanners and determining response by news crews
• Monitoring various on-air, online and newspaper resources for future story development and follow up
• Organizing information for future story development and follow up
• Answering and returning emails and phone calls from viewers, businesses and various officials in a professional and timely manner
• Making editorial coverage decisions on content proposed by viewers, businesses and various officials
• Communicating throughout the day with crews in our newsroom, remote bureau and in-the-field
• Assisting reporters and editorial staff in seeking and confirming information
• Assigning content to various newscasts
• Assisting morning, evening and weekend producers and reporters with story development and assignment
• Presenting available content in morning and afternoon editorial meetings
• Holding reporters and others accountable for checking beats and contributing enterprise content
• Executing “Breaking News & Weather Authority” brand on all station platforms
• Two plus years of experience on an assignment desk
• Experience as an executive producer / producer or reporter
• Journalism or related degree
• Strong organizational and communication skills
• Strong multi-tasking skills
• Passion for news and storytelling
• Knowledge of journalistic ethics, libel and privacy laws
• Valid driver’s license
• Ability to keep your cool under pressure
• Knowledge and understanding in using various digital and social platforms for news generation and coverage
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Click HERE to apply.
KWTX-TV, an operating company of Gray Television is an equal opportunity employer.
All of KWTX employment offers are contingent upon satisfactory completion of the application process, which includes a pre-employment drug test and DMV check.
Gray Television participates in E-Verify.