TEMPLE, Texas (KWTX) A kitchen fire at a house in Temple has fire officials warning against leaving the kitchen when preparing meals.
Around 12:40 p.m. Friday, firefighters responded to a kitchen fire on the 1500 block of Hillcrest Road.
While the outside of the house wasn't damaged, an unintentionally set stove fire did damage cabinets and a microwave.
One person was taken to the hospital to be evaluated to smoke exposure.
While no one was displaced, the dollar loss to the house was estimated to be about $1,500.
Temple fire shared warnings from the National Fire Protection Association to help prevent accidental cooking fires, which are the number one cause of home fires and home injuries; unattended cooking is cited as the leading cause of kitchen fires.
The tips are as follows: stay in the kitchen with your food, or turn off the stove if you have to leave; keep towels, pot holders, food packaging, wooden utensils, and curtains away from cooking appliances; and turn off the stove or oven when you're finished using it.
Temple fire also says if a stove fire happens, turn off the stove or burner and put a lid on the pan to douse the flames; never throw water onto a grease fire.