(May 15, 2013)--Today on KWTX News 10 at Noon, we had Chef Tiffany from the Texas Beef Council shared this great recipe with us.
Champagne Steak Salad with Blue Cheese
2 beef shoulder center (ranch) steaks, cut 1 inch thick (about 8 ounces each)
1 pound green beans, trimmed
2 teaspoons crushed mixed peppercorns (black, white, pink and green)
2 medium red and/or yellow bell peppers, cut into quarters
1 package (5 ounces) mixed salad greens
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
1/4 cup champagne or white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground mixed peppercorns
1. Bring 1-inch water to a boil in medium saucepan. Add green beans, cover and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain; set aside.
2. Meanwhile, combine vinaigrette ingredients in small bowl; set aside.
3. Press 2 teaspoons peppercorns evenly onto beef steaks. Place steaks in center of grid over medium, ash-covered coals; arrange peppers around steak. Grill steaks, covered, 11 to 14 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 12 to 16 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness. Grill peppers 7 to 11 minutes (Gas grill times remain the same.) or until crisp-tender, turning steaks and vegetables occasionally.
4. Carve steaks into thin slices. Cut peppers into 1-1/2-inch pieces. Season beef and vegetables with salt, as desired. Divide salad greens among four serving bowls; top evenly with vegetables. Arrange beef on salad. Sprinkle with blue cheese. Drizzle with vinaigrette.
• With a busy schedule, it’s easy to slip into unhealthy eating habits. Try grilling an extra steak or two. Keep the steaks refrigerated and have them ready to throw in a pita, on a taco or stack on top of another salad later in the week.
• This recipe is perfect for grilling both outdoors on a gas or charcoal grill or an indoor grill or grill pan.