KWTX News 10 | Central Texas, Waco | News, Weather, Sports

Drug Overdose Killed Actor


(February 6, 2008)--The New York City medical examiner said Wednesday actor Heath Ledger died as the result of an accidental overdose of prescription drugs.

The medical examiner said Ledger died of acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodon, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam and doxylamine.

These prescription drugs are the generic names for the OxyCotin painkiller, anti-anxiety drugs Valium and Xanax, and the sleep aids Restoril and Unisom.

Hydrocodone is a widely used prescription painkiller marketed with names such as Vicodin, Lortab and Norcor, among others.

Ledger was found dead in his New York apartment on January 22, naked with prescription sleeping pills and anti-anxiety medicine nearby.

The 28-year-old actor was known for his role as a gay cowboy inthe 2005 movie, "Brokeback Mountain."


KWTX-TV News 10 6700 American Plaza Waco, Texas 76712 (254) 776-1330 Fax (254) 751-1088
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 15352941