Two Women Charged After 2 Toddlers Found Running Down Highway

Hannah Hope Franklin (left) and Tamra Susanne Selman (Jail photos)

CAMERON (August 7, 2014) The mother and grandmother of two toddlers who were almost hit by an 18-wheeler as they ran down the middle of U.S. 190/State Highway 36 Tuesday in Cameron were free on bond Thursday after they were charged with child endangerment.

Hannah Hope Franklin, 21, and Tamra Susanne Selman, 50, were both charged with two counts of endangering a child/criminal negligence, police said.

Police began receiving reports about the two toddlers just after noon on Tuesday.

Witnesses told officers that an 18-wheeler rounded a curve and was headed toward the children when the driver locked down the brakes and missed the toddlers by less than a foot, police said.

The driver of the rig then pulled across the four-lane highway in attempt to protect the two children from oncoming traffic, police said.

James Blair, Jr., of Cameron was among those who witnessed the incident, police said.

He ran out into traffic, grabbed the toddlers, and took them to into a nearby business, police said.

“Both children appeared to be frightened and scared,” according to an arrest warrant affidavit released Thursday.

The boy was barefoot and the girl was wearing flip-flops, the affidavit said.

The two children had been without supervision for five hours or more before they were found on the highway, police said.

Early Tuesday afternoon, officers determined the address of what turned out to be the home the two women and the children shared at 901 East 3rd St. in Cameron.

An investigator went to the home where he was met by a woman later identified as Tamra Selman, the affidaivit said.

“I asked Ms. Selman if she was possibly missing two children,” the officer said in the affidavit.

“Ms. Selman replied, ‘Yea, ,I think I am,” the affidavit said.

Investigators determined that the toddlers’ mother left the house at around 8 a.m. Tuesday, the affidavit said.

“Ms. Franklin admitted that she did not wake Ms. Selman up and that she assumed she would wake up as the children did,” the affidavit said.

Selma, however, told the investigator she didn’t sleep much the night before and had been asleep for the almost six hours that Franklin was gone.

The two children were removed by the home and put in the custody of Child Protective Services, which later placed them with their separate biological fathers, the affidavit said.

Hannah Hope Franklin (Jail photo)
Tamra Susanne Selman (Jail photo)