Local Woman Credited With Family’s Safe Escape From Burning House

(Photo by James Warde)
By  | 

MOODY (November 27, 2012)—Fire destroyed a home Monday night near Moody and the family that lived there has a woman to thank for their lives.

Initial reports indicated that the person who alerted the family members was a young girl, but officials later said that it was a 34-year-old woman who lived in the house with her father and sons.

Moody fire Chief Mike Alton said firefighters were sent at about 11:30 p.m. Monday to 1536 North Blue Cut Road where the first units on the scene found a house engulfed in flames.

Alton said a man who lived in the home told him his daughter awakened and noticed smoke filling the house so she awakened the rest of the family.

By the time firefighters got to the address the family was safe outside but in spite of a battle with the flames they were unable to save the home.

The father told Alton the family had a fire in a fireplace earlier in the evening, but he had extinguished it before the family went to bed.

Alton said he has not yet established a cause for the fire but he believes it started in a wall next to the fireplace.

Moody firefighters were hampered in their battle because of a shortage of water but a tanker truck was sent from Bruceville-Eddy to bring more water to the scene.

Everyone escaped the house without injury, Alton said.

While he didn’t issue an estimate of the cost of the damage, he did say the home was destroyed.