WACO (March 27, 2013)--Two children who were playing in a vacant apartment told Waco fire investigators they accidentally started a fire that gutted two apartments Tuesday morning.
Residents of the Lakewood Villas apartment complex said Tuesday they saw two children run from the burning apartment just after the fire started at around 11 a.m. Tuesday, but fire department officials did not confirm the children started the fire until much later in the day.
A Waco fire marshal said one of the two children admitted later to starting the fire but said it was not intentional.
The fire damaged two apartments Tuesday morning at Lakewood Villas apartments at 1601 Spring Street in Waco, but no one was injured.
Waco assistant fire Chief Patrick Kerwin said the fire started in a downstairs unit that was not occupied but quickly spread to a second floor unit.
A woman, her 3-year-old child and another teenager were able to escape from the upstairs apartment without injury, Kerwin said.