(Photo by Christina Truong)
WACO (September 24, 2013)-Waco firefighters Tuesday morning were called at about 6:10 a.m. to Cottonwood Creek Golf Course after an employee there discovered a chlorine gas leak.
Several units, including a command vehicle and a HazMat team, were sent to the golf course, which is located on Bagby Avenue near the Waco ISD football stadium.
The first units on the scene reported there were some Baylor University students running in the area but because of still conditions, firefighters did not believe them to be in danger.
The leak was found to be coming from a City of Waco building on the backside of the course, near Beverly Drive, and Hazmat personnel thought the leak was isolated inside a privacy fence that surrounds the facility.
Initial reports were that there were two 150-gallon tanks of chlorine in use at the facility and three more being stored there.
Elemental chlorine at high concentrations is extremely dangerous and poisonous for all living organisms, and was historically used in World War I as the first gaseous chemical warfare agent.
News 10 has a crew at the scene and will provide more information as it is released.