Fire Damages Work Trailer At Local Hospital

(Photo by Randy Davis)
By  | 

TEMPLE (November 20, 2013) Fire Wednesday morning heavily damaged a work site trailer that was parked at Scott & White Hospital, but no one was injured.

Temple Fire and Rescue spokesman Thomas Pechal said two engine companies were sent just after 8:15 a.m. Wednesday to the main hospital on South 31st Street in Temple where the first unit on scene reported smoke and flames coming from the trailer.

Pechal said firefighters were able to douse the flames within a few minutes, but the fire left the trailer heavily damaged.

Fire crews remained on the scene mopping up and a fire marshal had been sent to the scene to try to determine a cause for the fire.

The fire was contained to the trailer, Pechal said.

Pechal said workers were using a saw to cut steel reinforcing bars when sparks from the torch blew into the trailer and caught materials inside on fire.

The workers didn't notice the fire until it already was out of hand, Pechal said.

When the workers finally noticed the blaze they used an extinguisher to try to gain control of the blaze but were unsuccessful.

When firefighters arrived the trailer was engulfed in flames, Pechal said.

Pechal said the damage done to the trailer and tools that were stored inside would amount to about $10,000.

The cause of the fire has been ruled accidental, Pechal said.