WACO (November 27, 2013) The contents of the Spec’s liquor store in Waco, which was gutted by an early-morning fire Tuesday, can’t be salvaged under Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission rules, the building’s owner, Lorrie DiCorte, said Wednesday.
The Dicorte family operated a liquor store in the same building for a number of years and had just recently leased the property to Spec's.
“We are hopeful that Spec’s can recover,” Dicorte said Wednesday.
The fire that raced through the store early Tuesday morning started accidentally around the store’s central heating unit, evidently as the result of a malfunction, Fire Marshal Kevin Vranick said.
The fire was reported just after 6 a.m. Tuesday at the store at 617 Lake Air Drive.
Flames were shooting from the roof when the first crews arrived.
Ultimately a portion of the roof collapsed and the building was a total loss, Dicorte said.
Fire marshals and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agents began looking for the cause of the fire Tuesday morning.
ATF agents were called in as a matter of routine because the fire involved a commercial building valued at more than $1 million plus its contents, Waco Assistant Fire Chief Chris Pachacek said.
No one was injured.
(Virgil Teter contributed to this story)