Four Children Escape Christmas Eve House Fire

By: Christina Truong Email
By: Christina Truong Email
Firefighters were at the scene Tuesday of a fire that destroyed a local family

(Photo by Christina Truong)

WACO (December 24, 2013) Firefighters battled a house fire Tuesday morning at a home in South Waco that destroyed the residence on the day before Christmas.

An electrical short caused the fire, officials said.

Four children were at home alone at the time of the blaze but all made it out safely, Assistant Waco Fire Chief Patrick Kerwin said.

All four children had to crawl out a bedroom window to escape the fire but none was hurt, Kerwin said.

The children, ages 8- to 15-years-old, and two adults who live in the home were displaced by the fire.

Homeowner Stacy Coleman told News 10 later in the morning she and her husband were at work at the nearby Veteran's Administration Hospital when they were notified of the fire.

Two dogs, one an adult and the other a puppy, also lived in the home.

The older dog survived the fire but the puppy did not, Kerwin said.

Kerwin said the local chapter of the American Red Cross was called to the scene to assist the family with their immediate needs.

The alarm went out at about 7:30 a.m. at an address in the 3800 block of Hay Avenue, in South Waco.

Kerwin said fire units were able to see thick smoke coming from the location as they were still some distance away so they knew the house was fully involved.

When the first units arrived they reported heavy smoke and flames coming from the one-story wood-frame home.

Initially it was feared a child might still be inside but firefighters at the scene were quickly able to determine all the residents got out safely.

Hay Avenue was blocked while firefighters fought to control the blaze but they were unable to save the home.


KWTX-TV News 10 6700 American Plaza Waco, Texas 76712 (254) 776-1330 Fax (254) 751-1088
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 237145871 - kwtx.com/a?a=237145871
Gray Television, Inc.