Man Arrested After Chase, Shooting, Standoff Faces List Of Charges

More Video...
By  | 

WACO (June 19, 2014) A man who surrendered to Waco police Thursday morning after a foot pursuit during which shots were fired at officers and a standoff that lasted for almost seven hours and forced some evacuations in a local neighborhood was facing a long list of charges Thursday.

(Photo by Kyle Muscarello)

A large crowd gathered in the area during the standoff and some people were taunting officers as they worked to apprehend the man, who police identified late Thursday morning as Ronald Wayne Kennedy, 23, of Temple.

Kennedy will be charged with attempted capital murder, burglary of a habitation with the intent to commit an assault, evading arrest with prior convictions and unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon, Waco police Sgt. W. Patrick Swanton said.

He’s also named in unrelated warrants charging evading in a motor vehicle, assault-family violence, unauthorized use of a motor vehicle and unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon, Swanton said.

Kennedy was arrested at around 7:15 a.m. Thursday, almost seven hours after officers were sent to an apartment on North 6th Street in response to a domestic disturbance.

As officers arrived at the apartment, a man involved in the disturbance started to flee.

Officers used a stun gun to try to subdue him, but the man pulled the darts from his body and continued to run, Swanton said.

Officers gave chase and the man fired at them as he ran, but no one was hurt, Swanton said.

The officers returned fire, but did not hit the man, who ran to a home in the 1100 block of North 10th Street owned by a family member, Swanton said.

The residents escaped safely as officers surrounded the house.

Officers requested a SWAT team, which arrived within a few minutes and set up a perimeter around the house, Swanton said.

Nearby homes were evacuated as a precaution during the standoff, Swanton said.

At around 3 a.m. the SWAT officers decided to use tear gas to try to force the man to come outside.

Between 3 a.m. and 3:30 a.m. at least six tear gas shells were fired into the house, but the man refused to surrender.

“He was in there for a long time and we put a lot of gas into the house,” Swanton said.

Officers also used a robot to try to locate the man inside the house, Swanton said.

The man finally surrendered after officers threatened to send a police dog into the house to find him, Swanton said.

The man was checked out for the effects of the tear gas before he was taken to the McLennan County Jail.

Firefighters used fans to clear the gas from the house.