Killeen Man Sentenced For Felon In Possession Of Firearm

By  | 

KILLEEN (June 19, 2014) A man who led police on a wild high-speed chase in January that started in Killeen and ended on North Fort Hood has been sentenced after he earlier pleaded guilty to a federal firearms charge.

U.S. District Judge Walter S. Smith, Jr., on Wednesday sentenced Richard Glenn Turnbo to serve 10 years in federal prison, to be followed by 3 years supervised release, ordered him to pay a $1,000 fine and $100 special assessment to the court.

Turnbo, 53, of Killeen, pleaded guilty April 25 following his arrest on Jan. 10 after an hour-long high-speed chase involving officers from 11 area agencies.

Once stopped, police found three weapons in Turnbo's vehicle, court documents say.

Turnbo also faces state charges of a possession of marijuana, theft of property more than $1,500 but less than $20,000 and possession of a controlled substance.

The pursuit started after Killeen police stopped a red 1995 Ford Thunderbird at around 12:50 p.m. on Jan. 10 at the eastbound U.S. Highway 190 overpass at Stan Schlueter Loop.

As an officer walked up to the vehicle car, the driver sped off, police spokeswoman Carroll Smith said.

The man led officers east on U.S. 190, and then through Harker Heights, Nolanville, Belton, Temple and rural parts of Bell County before entering Coryell County.

Smith said officers from Harker Heights, Nolanville and Temple, along with Bell and Coryell County deputies, Department of Public Safety troopers, game wardens from Texas Parks and Wildlife and deputies U.S. Marshals assisted in the pursuit.

Officers first attempted to stop the fleeing driver using spike strips, but the man was able to avoid them.

A DPS trooper fired his shotgun at the fleeing car and was able to shoot out one of the rear tires along Highway 36, but the car did not stop.

Eventually the man turned onto Farm-to-Market Road 184 just west of Lake Belton off State Highway 36 and sped onto East Range Road on North Fort Hood.

A trooper again fired shots at the car's rear tires and this time the driver finally slowed to a stop.

No one was injured by the gunfire.

The driver finally was taken into custody at 1:42 p.m., almost an hour after the chase began.

He was taken by ambulance to Metroplex Hospital, in Killeen for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries, Smith said.

Turnbo was wanted on warrants issued in Bell and Travis counties, Smith said.

Fort Hood's Provost Marshal's Office also assisted once the chase crossed the post boundary, Smith said.