MART (July 17, 2014) Nancy Bradford surveyed the damage Thursday after an early-morning fire that destroyed her home of 42 years in Mart.
Nancy Bradford (left) surveyed her damaged home after the early-morning fire. (Photo by Jim Peeler)
She and three family members escaped safely thanks to an overnight visitor who alerted them to the fire early Thursday morning, but the house was a total loss.
“He just spent all night here and he said something touched him and told him to get up and he ran in where I was sleeping and told me to get up,” she said.
The visitor and the four family members escaped from the rear of the house where they were met by Stephanie Medlock, a resident who was driving in the area and saw the flames.
She made the 911 call to report the fire.
Information from the scene earlier in the day incorrectly indicated that a neighbor alerted the family to the fire, which was reported at around 2:30 a.m. in the 300 block of South Carpenter Street.
The single-story home was engulfed in flames when the first firefighters arrived.
Assistance was requested from the Elk and Riesel Fire Departments.
A dog that was inside the home was found safe, but most of the contents of the home evidently didn’t survive the fire.
“I’m just lost,” Bradford said.
“My first baby passed and all of her pictures cannot be replaced and they were on the wall,” she said.
“It could be worse, it’s OK," she added.
The American Red Cross was assisting the displaced residents Thursday evening.