Early-Morning Fire Forces Local Eatery To Close For Repairs

More Video...

A popular local restaurant was closed temporarily Wednesday after an early-morning fire that burned out the kitchen.

(Photo by Carlos Garcia)

WACO (August 6, 2014) An early-morning fire Wednesday at Casa de Castillo in Waco forced the restaurant to close temporarily while repairs are made to the burned out kitchen.

Firefighters were sent at about 3:15 a.m. to the restaurant at 4820 Sanger Ave. where the first units reported smoke coming from the roof of the building.

The firefighters made their way through a backdoor into the kitchen and were quickly able to douse the flames, Waco Assistant Fire Chief Chris Pechacek said.

The blaze was confined to the kitchen, but repairs to the restaurant, mainly in the wiring, will take several days to complete and could cost anywhere from $20,000 to $75,000.

The remainder of the building received smoke, heat and water damage, Pechacek said.

For a time Waco police closed the intersection at Sanger Avenue and Towne Oaks, but it had reopened as firefighters cleared the scene.

A Waco fire marshal was at the restaurant trying to determine just how the fire started.

No one was injured in the fire.


KWTX-TV News 10 6700 American Plaza Waco, Texas 76712 (254) 776-1330 Fax (254) 751-1088
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 270130281 - kwtx.com/a?a=270130281