TEMPLE (August 7, 2014) A work van was destroyed by fire Wednesday evening as a carpet cleaning crew was working at a Temple apartment complex.
Firefighters were sent at about 6:15 p.m. to a report of a vehicle fire at University Courtyard Apartments where the first unit on the scene reported heavy smoke coming from a van, Temple Fire and Rescue spokesman Thomas Pechal said.
A carpet cleaning company working inside an apartment noticed a malfunction in their equipment and when they went outside to check on the problem, they discovered their work van was on fire.
Pechal said heavy black smoke was billowing from the van that was parked about 20-25 feet away from apartments at 2315 South 1st Street.
No one was inside.
The manager at the complex tried to douse the blaze with a fire extinguisher but to no avail, Pechal said.
TFR investigators said the fire started due to a malfunction in the carpet-cleaning machine.
No apartments were in danger from the fire and there were no injuries but the blaze destroyed the van and cleaning machine mounted inside, Pechal said.
Fire units cleared the scene at 7:40 p.m.