MARLIN (January 3, 2010)—Two Marlin police officers were injured early Sunday morning while at the scene of a fire that destroyed a house when a fire department supply-line coupling failed and the hose blew off the hydrant to which it was connected.
Earlier reports indicated that the hose had exploded, but a Marlin fire department official says those were incorrect.
Marlin Police Chief Daryl Allen said the officers were not seriously hurt, but said both would likely be off duty for a few days while they recover from their injuries.
The home, near the intersection of Lucas and Harris streets just southeast of downtown, was unoccupied and believed abandoned, Allen said.
“Makes you wonder how the fire started if nobody was living there,” Allen told News 10.
The fire was reported just after 2 a.m. Sunday and the time fire units arrived, flames engulfed the house, Allen said.
Allen said fire department investigators were at the scene Sunday morning trying to determine the origin and cause of the blaze.
Allen did not say if utilities to the house were turned off.
He also urged all residents to be sure their heating units and stoves are operating properly as cold weather bears down on Central Texas this week.
“It (a fire) can happen very quickly and fire is not forgiving,” Allen said.