CORPUS CHRISTI (September 17, 2013)—Cameron Espinosa, 12, a middle school football player in Corpus Christi, died of a severe allergic reaction to ant bites he received while warming up for the second half of a game.
Corpus Christi school district spokeswoman Lorette Williams said the boy used water from a water bottle to try to remove the ants, but he eventually lost consciousness last Wednesday.
He was hospitalized in critical condition until he died Monday.
The game resumed after the eighth grader was taken to the hospital, but play was later halted when the severity of his condition became apparent.
Williams says the boy didn't know he was allergic to ants and the district had no record of allergies.