Arrest Reported In Boston Marathon Bombings; FBI Says No One's In Custody

BOSTON (April 17, 2013)—CNN, citing unnamed sources, reported early Wednesday afternoon that authorities have made an arrest in the bombings Monday at the Boston Marathon, but later backed off and instead said "significant progress" has been made in the investigation.

The Associated Press later reported the arrest, as well, while other reports indicated that an arrest was imminent.

The FBI, Boston police and Justice Department officials, however, denied than anyone was in custody and U.S. Secretary of State, former Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry, echoed the denial during a hearing in Washington.

"A few minutes ago before I came in here the ticker was talking about the potential of an arrest. I will say to you that no, the latest data I have is that no arrest has been made, but they have quote 'solid leads,'" he said.

Some reports indicated the suspect was due to appear in U.S. District Court in Boston; reporters and police converged on the federal courthouse in anticipation of the appearance.

The courthouse was later evacuated.

The U.S. Marshals Service in Washington said the reason for the evacuation was a bomb threat.

Spokeswoman Nikki Credic-Barrett said authorities were conducting a security sweep.

Workers were allowed to return to the building late Wednesday afternoon.

The threat delayed a scheduled press briefing,which was later canceled.

Boston City Council President Stephen Murphy said Wednesday afternoon investigators have an image from a department store surveillance camera of a man dropping off a bag containing one of the bombs.

He said he didn’t know if investigators have identified the man.

Murphy said police officers involved in the probe say investigators have matched information from the surveillance footage with witness descriptions of someone seen leaving the scene.

Murphy says officers are pursuing leads that could take them to the man.

He said developing the information within the first 48 hours of the probe is a major breakthrough.

Earlier Wednesday, CNN reported that the surveillance video from a department store camera figured heavily in identifying a possible suspect.

CNN reported that the video showed someone placing a backpack at the site where one of the bombs exploded.

Three people died and more than 170 were injured when the bombs detonated within seconds of each other at the finish line of the annual race.

CBS reported that surveillance video showed someone talking on a cell phone while placing a black backpack at the site of the second explosion.

The person left the area immediately after the first bomb exploded, CBS reported.

Investigators traced cell phone records in order to identify the person, whom CBS described as either a suspect or a witness.

Law enforcement agencies earlier pleaded for the public to come forward with photos, videos or any information that might help them solve the twin bombings.

Investigators circulated information about the bombs, which involved kitchen pressure cookers packed with explosives, nails and other lethal shrapnel, but the FBI said nobody had claimed responsibility.