Ex-West Paramedic Jailed On Explosives Charge Released

WACO (August 22, 2013)--Bryce Ashley Reed, the former paramedic who was accused of possessing bomb-making material in the aftermath of deadly fertilizer plant explosion in West, was released to the custody of his mother and stepfather after a federal hearing Thursday afternoon in Waco.

Bryce Ashley Reed leaving the McLennan County Jail Thursday evening. (Photo by Matt Howerton)

Reed left the McLennan County Jail at around 6 p.m. Thursday.

U.S. Magistrate Jeffrey C. Manske ordered his release on a $25,000 unsecured bond, but set some conditions.

Reed must be under the constant supervision of either his mother or stepfather, cannot use drugs or alcohol and may not have contact with any potential witnesses in the case.

His mother is allowed to administer prescription medication to him.

“He’ll get out without putting money down at this point because he’s not a risk of flight and I don’t think anybody’s alleged that he...is somebody who’s not going to show back up to court,” Reed’s attorney, Jonathan Sibley said.

Reed was indicted on May 14 by a federal grand jury in Waco for possession of a destructive device.

He was never linked to the April 17 explosion that killed 15, injured hundreds and damaged or destroyed dozens of homes and buildings.

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agents arrested him on May 9 in West after pipe bomb components were found on May 7 at the home of an Abbott resident who “had unwittingly taken possession of the components from Reed on April 26,” an arrest warrant affidavit said.

(Read The Affidavit)

The components included a 3.5-inch by 1.5-inch length of galvanized pipe with end caps, in one of which was drilled a 1/8th-inch hole, the affidavit said.

Authorities also recovered hobby fuse, a lighter, a digital scale, a plastic spoon, six coils of metal ribbon, several pounds of chemicals in separate bags including potassium nitrate, potassium perchlorate, sulfur power, air float charcoal and aluminum power, the affidavit said.

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives experts who inspected the material agreed that the components could “be readily assembled into a destructive device,” the affidavit said.