WHARTON (August 6, 2014) Hinze's Bar-B-Q in Wharton went up in flames Monday evening just before the dinner rush after a pit fire got out of control.
The landmark Texas barbecue restaurant, which was a roadside staple on U.S. Highway 59 for more than 40 years, burned to the ground.
A grease fire started in a barbecue pit behind the restaurant and spread to flammable liquids in the kitchen area, Wharton’s fire chief said.
At least 70 firefighters from several departments battled the flames, a constable said.
Smoke was visible from 12 miles away.
No one was injured.
The owners are working with their insurance company and will likely rebuild from scratch, an employee said.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.