Five Soldiers Injured In Shooting Rampage Remain In Hospitals

Ambulances that transported shooting victims from Fort Hood toScott & White Hospital in Temple. (File)
By  | 

FORT HOOD (April 8, 2014) Five of the 16 soldiers wounded in the shooting rampage last Wednesday at Fort Hood remained in hospitals Tuesday, as the post prepared for a memorial service for the three soldiers who were killed.

Two of the soldiers were in fair condition at Scott & White Hospital in Temple and a third soldier who was treated there was transferred to Carl R. Darnall Army Medical Center, where two other wounded soldiers were still being treated.

Last Wednesday Spc. Ivan Lopez opened fire in three separate buildings, and shot two more soldiers while he was driving, expending a total of 35 rounds in a rampage that lasted for eight minutes from the time of the first 911 calls until he shot himself after a female MP confronted him in a parking lot, Chris Grey of the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command said Monday.

The three soldiers who were killed in the rampage were identified as Sgt. Timothy Owens, 37, of Effingham, Ill., an Iraq war veteran; Staff Sgt. Carlos A. Lazaney-Rodriguez, 38, of Aguadilla, Puerto Rico, a 20-year Army veteran who was planning to retire; and Sgt. 1st Class Danny Ferguson, 39, of Mulberry, Fla., a Bronze Star winner who had just returned from a deployment to Afghanistan.

An invitation-only memorial service for the three soldiers killed in the shooting rampage Wednesday will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday on Sadowski Field at the III Corps Headquarters Building.

President Barack Obama will attend.

Access to the post will be restricted because of the service.

The Fort Hood Main Gate will be closed from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., but other access points along U.S. Highway 190 will remain open, officials said.

The names of the injured haven’t been released, but family members of some of the wounded soldiers have spoken publicly.

Spc. Keisha Fountain

"Keisha is stable and doing well. We appreciate all the prayers and concerns for her,” her family wrote.

“We would like to thank all the medical staff and first responders who have helped Keisha. The hospital and her unit have been great. We would appreciate everyone's respect for our family's privacy as we come together and support her through her recovery."

"The love and encouragement from her friends around the world has been tremendous. She is truly loved."

Maj. Patrick Miller

"On behalf of the family of Maj. Patrick Miller, we would like to thank everyone for the outpouring of support we have received since the tragedy that occurred here at Fort Hood on April 2,” Miller’s family wrote.

“We would like to thank the first responders at the scene and the medical staff at Carl. R. Darnall Army Medical Center for their tireless efforts. He is currently in stable condition and looks forward to making a full recovery. We ask that you respect our privacy during this very difficult period and give our family time to heal as we undergo the recovery process. Our thoughts and prayers are also with the other victims who are affected by this tragedy and their families as well."

During a press briefing Saturday U.S. Rep John Carter called Miller a very courageous young man. Carter said Miller heard the gunfire and rushed get his soldiers to a safe place when Lopez opened fire in one of the buildings where he was working.

Miller deployed to Iraq and lives with his wife outside Austin, Texas, and is a native of New York.

Miller was first deployed to Iraq in 2003, where he led a platoon that provided combat health services. He returned in 2006 to advise Iraqis on logistics, according to his LinkedIn profile. Miller served as a financial officer at Fort Drum in northern New York until last summer, when he went to Fort Hood and became a brigade comptroller.

Pvt. Deon Josephs

"Some of Pvt. Deon Joseph’s family members have set up an account on the fundraising website

Darren Josephs, is posting regular updates about his brother's condition. "Deon, on the day of the shooting, was sweeping inside his building (transportation Unit) Fort Hood, Texas when he was shot and now is unable to move and on a ventilator," Darren wrote.

Darren also posted that Deon underwent surgery to have a bullet removed from his back after the attack.