Fort Hood Gunman Fired 35 Rounds During 8-Minute Rampage

By  | 

FORT HOOD (April 7, 2014) Spc. Ivan Lopez opened fire in three separate buildings, and shot two more soldiers while he was driving, expending a total of 35 rounds in a rampage that lasted for eight minutes from the time of the first 911 calls until he shot himself after a female MP confronted him in a parking lot, Chris Grey of the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command said Monday.

Staff Sgt. Carlos Lazaney Rodriguez (left), Sgt. Timothy Owens (center) and Sgt. 1st Class Daniel Ferguson died in the shooting. (Courtesy photos)

The shooting stemmed from an argument over a request for leave, Grey said, although he did not indicate whether the request was granted.

Three soldiers died in the rampage and 16 others were injured.

Lopez first opened fire at the 49th Transportation headquarters in Building 39001, where he killed one soldier and wounded 10 others, Grey said.

The soldier who died and at least one of the wounded were involved in the argument over the leave request, Grey said.

Then Lopez left the building, got into his car, and as he drove, he fired at two soldiers who were standing outside, wounding one of them, Grey said.

He stopped at Building 40027, went inside the motor pool and shot one soldier who was in the office who later died, and then went into the vehicle bay where he opened fire, wounding two others, Grey said.

He left the building, got back into his car, and as he drove off fired into the windshield of another vehicle in which two soldiers were riding, wounding the passenger, Grey said.

He next drove to the 1st Medical Brigade in Building 33026 where he shot and killed a soldier at the entrance desk and then wounded another.

Grey said it’s not clear why he opened fire there, however.

Lopez then returned to his car and drove to the parking lot of Building 39002 where the female MP confronted him.

The MP fired at him, but missed.

He then shot himself in the head, Grey said.

Investigators recovered three shell casings from his car and 32 scattered across a crime scene that Grey said was the size of two city blocks.

The three soldiers who were killed in the rampage were identified as Sgt. Timothy Owens, 37, of Effingham, Ill., an Iraq war veteran; Staff Sgt. Carlos A. Lazaney-Rodriguez, 38, of Aguadilla, Puerto Rico, a 20-year Army veteran who was planning to retire; and Sgt. 1st Class Danny Ferguson, 39, of Mulberry, Fla., a Bronze Star winner who had just returned from a deployment to Afghanistan.

Three of the wounded survivors of the shooting remained at Scott & White Hospital on Monday, all in fair condition.

They’re expected to remain there for several more days, the hospital said Monday.

Two other victims remained at Carl R. Darnall Army Medical Center.