Funerals For The Fallen: Slain Fort Hood Soldiers To Be Laid To Rest

Staff Sgt. Carlos Lazaney Rodriguez (left), Sgt. Timothy Owens (center) and Sgt. 1st Class Daniel Ferguson died in the shooting. (Courtesy photos)

FORT HOOD (April 11, 2014) The bodies of the three Fort Hood soldiers who were killed in the April 2 shooting rampage on post were flown home Friday.

The shooting claimed the lives of Sgt. Timothy Owens, 37, of Effingham, Ill., an Iraq war veteran; Staff Sgt. Carlos A. Lazaney-Rodriguez, 38, of Aguadilla, Puerto Rico, a 20-year Army veteran who was planning to retire; and Sgt. 1st Class Danny Ferguson, 39, of Mulberry, Fla., a Bronze Star recipient who had just returned from a deployment to Afghanistan.

Owens’ body was flown Friday to Lambert International Airport in St. Louis, from where Rolla Patriot Guard riders were to escort it to a funeral home in Dixon, Mo.

Owens’ funeral will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at the First Baptist Church in Rolla, Mo.

He’ll be interred with full military honors in Lake Springs Cemetery.

Lazaney-Rodriguez’s body was being flown Friday to Tampa, Fla.

His funeral service begins at 11 a.m. Monday at Blount & Curry Funeral Home’s MacDill Avenue Chapel in Tampa.

Visitation will be from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. Monday.

Lazaney-Rodriguez will be buried with military honors at Florida National Cemetery in Bushnell, Fla.

Ferguson’s body was flown Friday to Tampa, Fla., where Patriot Guard riders were waiting to provide an escort to Lakeland Funeral Home & Memorial Gardens.

A private funeral service for Ferguson will be Saturday morning in Lakeland, Fla., followed by burial with military honors at Florida National Cemetery.

Spc. Ivan Lopez opened fire late in the afternoon on April 2 in three separate buildings, and shot two more soldiers while he was driving, expending a total of 35 rounds in a rampage that lasted for eight minutes from the time of the first 911 calls until he shot himself after a female MP confronted him in a parking lot.

Sixteen other soldiers were wounded.

Four remained in hospitals Friday.