Gunman In Deadly School Shooting Was A Student

TROUTDALE, Ore. (June 10, 2014) The teenage boy who walked into a high school Tuesday morning in Troutdale, Ore., a suburb of Portland, and opened fire, killing a 14-year-old freshman before evidently committing suicide in a bathroom, was also a student.

The victim was killed in the boys' locker room, Troutdale police Chief Scott Anderson said Tuesday.

Anderson says Emilio Hoffman was "loved by all."

The teenage gunman, who was found dead, slumped on a toilet in a school bathroom, likely killed himself, police said.

A robot with a camera was used to investigate after the teenager’s body was found, police spokesman Sgt. Carey Kaer said.

His name has not been released.

Anderson said a rifle was used in the shooting, but provided no other details.

Authorities earlier said a semi-automatic weapon was involved.

One teacher was injured, he said.

Reynolds school teacher Todd Rispler was grazed by a bullet in the hip while teaching a weight lifting class.

He was treated at the scene.

Heavily armed officers swarmed the school just after 8 a.m.

The school was on lockdown and students were led from the building with hands over their heads.

During the evacuation, one person was found with a gun and was taken into custody, Anderson said, but there’s no indication that the person was linked to the shooting.

The district planned to notify parents later in the day of "school closure," Reynolds School Superintendent Linda Florence said.

“This is a very, very tragic day and one that I had hoped would never be part of my experience,” Florence said.

Parents were urged to stay away from the school, and were directed to an off-campus parking lot.

Students were texting with their parents.

One parent interviewed on TV said she heard from her son who told her that he was OK, but she said she was worried.

Freshman Daniel DeLong, 15, said while waiting after the shooting that he saw a physical education teacher at the school with a bloodied shirt.

"I'm a little shaken up," DeLong said.

"I'm just worried."

He said he was texting friends to make sure they were all OK.

"It just, like, happened so fast, you know?" he said.

Freshman Morgan Rose, 15, said she was hunkered down in a locker room with another student and two teachers.

"It was scary in the moment now knowing everything's OK I'm better," she said.

SWAT teams were going through the school room by room, KGW-TV reported.

Wednesday is the final day of classes at the school.