KWTX News 10 | Central Texas, Waco | News, Weather, Sports

Elderly Man Burned While Pulling Wife From Burning Home

By: Paul J. Gately Email
By: Paul J. Gately Email

(Photo by Ben Griffin)

(Photo by Ben Griffin)

BELTON (January 15, 2014) An elderly man who suffered second- and third-degree burns to his feet in an early-morning house fire Wednesday in Belton has been taken to a burn center in San Antonio.

Belton Fire Department spokesman Bruce Pritchard said the 82-year-old man suffered burns and smoke inhalation as he struggled to get his elderly wheelchair-bound wife out of the couple's burning home.

The woman was not injured.

Firefighters were sent just before 5:30 a.m. Wednesday to the couple’s home in the 100 block of Palmetto Street after a caller reported that smoke was coming from the windows of the house.

Soon after the first units arrived, the incident commander asked for mutual aid from Temple Fire & Rescue, spokesman Thomas Pechal said.

Pechal said an engine and a rescue truck were sent to the scene.

Pritchard said the fire has been classified accidental of unknown origin.

The single-story brick home suffered significant damage in the blaze.

A dog that was in the house was still missing Wednesday afternoon Pritchard said.


KWTX-TV News 10 6700 American Plaza Waco, Texas 76712 (254) 776-1330 Fax (254) 751-1088
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 240282611