Investigators Say No Explosive Hazard Found In Suspected Bomb

More Video...
By  | 

WACO (April 12, 2013)--An Ordnance Disposal Team from Fort Hood early Friday morning was called to secure a bomb that was found inside a pick up truck during a late night traffic stop at a busy intersection in Waco - a device that was later ruled by Fort Hood as non-explosive.


Waco police Sgt. W. Patrick Swanton said the improvised explosive device included a hand grenade and other materials.

Swanton said the device had materials placed around it and was held together with wires and tape.

“Fort Hood (EOD experts) were very concerned about it,” Swanton said later in the morning.

Swanton said EOD technicians will inspect the device and try to determine what it was intended to do, but that process could take some time.

Fort Hood and III Corps Public Information Officer Chris Haug said Friday morning that EOD specialists are in the process of examining the device and will provide a detailed report to Waco police when their investigation is complete.

EOD technicians determined rather than exploding the hand-made device where it was found, a safer course would be to securely package the device so it could be taken back to Fort Hood and dismantled.

Swanton said Joseph Calvin Gaynor, 53, the driver of the truck, was arrested at the scene and taken to the McLennan County Jail where jail records show he is charged with possession of a prohibited weapon explosive device, driving while license invalid, possession of marijuana less than 2 ounces and on two traffic warrants.

Gaynor was ordered held in lieu of bonds totaling $12,000, jail records showed.

Waco police summoned the bomb squad from Fort Hood at about 1:45 a.m. when patrol officers found a suspicious package inside a pick up truck and feared it might be an explosive device.

Waco police Commander Claire Crook said the EOD team initially planned to shoot the device rather than risk moving it but after more consideration decided to take the device back to Fort Hood.

Police officers had LaSalle Avenue and 18th Street closed while the bomb squad technicians inspected the device that was found in the front seat of a pick up truck after an 11 p.m. traffic stop.

The device, said to be round, packaged with tape and with wires attached to it, was first noticed after patrol officers stopped the truck on a routine traffic stop.

Police called for a robotic camera to further inspect the device, then called for help from the EOD team from Fort Hood.

It took military experts about an hour to arrive in Waco and begin their inspection.

The intersection at 18th Street and LaSalle Avenue had been closed since just before midnight Friday morning but had been cleared and traffic was moving normally by 5:15 a.m. Friday.

One person who was in the truck was taken into custody on an unspecified charge and was booked into the McLennan County Jail.

The location where the truck was stopped is only about a block away from the Waco Independent School District bus lot.

Swanton said along with police, Waco fire units, ETMC, crime scene technicians and emergency management officials responded to the scene.

Fort Hood released a statement Friday afternoon saying, "Fort Hood's Explosive Ordnance Disposal team was requested by the Waco Police because of suspected military ordnance discovered during a traffic stop. (The Military Munitions Rule requires that Army EOD respond to any suspected or actual military ordnance.) Upon closer examination, the EOD Team from the Army's 79th EOD Battalion determined that the military ordnance item contained no explosive hazard."