(Sketch by Brigitte Woosley)
FORT HOOD (June 18, 2013)-Military judge Col. Tara Osborn refused Tuesday to grant a three-month delay in the court-martial of Fort Hood gunman Maj. Nidal Hasan, and then set July 9 as the date for the start of jury panel selection.
Osborn also set a tentative date of Aug. 6 for the start of the court-martial.
Hasan originally requested the delay in the start of the trial after Osborn agreed to allow him to represent himself.
Last week Osborn refused to allow Hasan to use a "defense of others" strategy in which he would have argued that he shot U.S. troops because they posed an immediate threat to Taliban leaders in Afghanistan.
Hasan told Osborn Tuesday he no longer needed more time to prepare.
Osborn said the selection of the panel could be interrupted because the panel selection expert for Hasan may have to travel to Fort Bragg to assist in a court martial there between July 16 and 19, but that had not been firmed up yet.
The judge also visited an issue that Hasan brought up concerning security during the court-martial and Osborn refused to make any changes, saying security at the courthouse was adequate and parties to the trial should exercise caution when the trial starts.
Hasan faces the death penalty or life in prison without parole if convicted in the Nov. 5, 2009 attack that left 13 dead on the Texas Army post.