Man Accused Of Killing Veteran SWAT Officer Returns To Court

Detective Charles Dinwiddie (Killeen Police Dept. photo)
By  | 

BELTON (June 19, 2014) A second attorney was appointed during a hearing Thursday for
Marvin Louis Guy, 49, who was indicted Wednesday for capital murder in the shooting death of a veteran Killeen SWAT officer.

Russ Hunt of Waco was appointed to represent Guy and Mike White of Temple will serve as second chair.

Two defense attorneys are required in capital murder cases.

Guy remains jailed in lieu of bonds that now total $4.5 million with the addition of the capital murder charge.

Guy was charged earlier with three counts of attempted capital murder in the shooting, which occurred as officers served a so-called no-knock search warrant just after 5:30 a.m. May 9 at 1104 Circle M Dr. Apt. 3 in Killeen.

Police Detective Charles “Chuck” Dinwiddie, 47, and Officer Odis Denton, 37, were shot as they and other officers served the narcotics search warrant

Dinwiddie died at 1:30 p.m. May 11 in the intensive care unit of Scott & White Hospital.

Denton, who was shot in the femur, underwent surgery and was later released from Scott & White.

Two other officers were hit by gunfire, but were spared injury by their protective gear.

Guy pleaded not guilty on June 5 to the attempted capital murder charges.

Guy told an investigator that “he shot at a number of persons outside of his residence before he was taken into custody” an arrest affidavit said.

The affidavit said the officers announced that they were police as they tried to gain entry to Guy’s apartment.

Former Killeen City Councilman Larry Cole has asked the city’s police department to reconsider the use of no knock warrants, which authorize officers to enter without providing prior notification to residents.

Earlier this month he took his concerns to the City Council and later said he was considering launching a petition drive.

Dinwiddie, whose father was an Army officer, was born in Frankfurt, Germany, but his family later settled in Harker Heights, where he attended Harker Heights Elementary School, Manor Junior High School, and then graduated from Killeen High School in 1984.

He earned an associate degree in Electronics and Computer Technology from Central Texas College and joined the Killeen Police Department in 1996.

He was married to Holly Dinwiddie for 22 years and they had two children, 10-year-old Colin and 9-year-old Chloe.

He was an 18-year veteran of the Killeen Police Department and a 15-year veteran of the department’s SWAT Team.