Local Grand Jury Clears U.S. Marshal In Deadly Shooting

Transcini Richerson (Jail photo/file)
By  | 

WACO (August 7, 2013)—The McLennan County Grand Jury Wednesday declined to indict Deputy U.S. Marshal Clayton Brown in the March 18 shooting death of Transcini Richerson, 30 of Waco during an arrest attempt in a residential neighborhood.

Acting on a tip on March 18, marshals followed Richerson to the 2600 block of Cumberland Avenue, where the shooting occurred at around 12:50 p.m. after Richerson pulled over to the curb in front of a house.

Marshals surrounded his car and ordered him to put his hands up, Swanton said.

He didn’t comply, and was shot as he appeared reach for something under the seat or dash while still in the car, authorities said.

“One of the U.S. deputy marshals fired his weapon in defense of himself and the other officers on the scene,” Waco police Sgt. W. Patrick Swanton said at the time.

Richerson was taken to Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center where he later died.

Two women who were in the car at the time were not injured.

Richerson was wanted for strangulation/assault and misdemeanor criminal trespass and was named in a parole violation warrant and warrant records indicated he “was to be considered armed and dangerous,” authorities said.

He had prior arrests for assault on a peace officer and evading arrest as well as convictions for unlawfully carrying a weapon, deadly conduct, drug possession and manufacturing and delivery of a controlled substance, authorities said.

McLennan County District Attorney Abel Reyna said it’s standard practice for grand juries to review officer-involved shootings.

He issued a statement Wednesday that said his office agrees with the grand jury's decision.

"Deputy U.S. Marshal Clayton Brown's conduct was within the confines of the law and his training. There are times when the use of deadly force by an officer is necessary to protect themselves as well as fellow officers. This was one of those instances," Reyna said.