Local Man Saves Neighbor’s House, Pets

By  | 

HALLSBURG (September 25, 2013)—A Hallsburg man is credited with saving his neighbor’s house and her four pets after fire broke out Wednesday afternoon.

The owner of the house, Nancy Rountree was at work when the fire started. She's holding two of the four pets her neighbor rescued. (Photo by Jim Peeler)

Tony Mullins spotted the fire in the rear of the house at 1352 Radio Tower Road, rescued the four pets and then used a garden house to douse the flames.

He climbed on top of the house to reach the fire and suffered arm burns when he fell through the roof.

Paramedics were checking him out at the scene late Wednesday afternoon.

The owner of the house, Nancy Rountree, was at work when the fire broke out.

The house fire ignited a 10 to 15 acre grassfire adjacent to the residence, which firefighters from Bellmead, Riesel, Hallsburg and Mart worked to contain.

Fire damage was restricted to the rear portion of the house, but some smoke damage occurred throughout the residence.