Local School Briefly Evacuated Because Of Gas Leak

By  | 

WACO (September 25, 2013)-Students and staff at the Midway ISD's Woodgate Intermediate School were evacuated Wednesday morning after a gas leak was reported in the area.

Another gas line leak near a different school and miles away from the Woodgate campus had staff members concerned but did not require an evacuation, a Waco Montessori School spokesman said.

Midway ISD spokeswoman Traci Marlin said students and staff were safely evacuated from the building, but leak was repaired and all were returned to the building within a few minutes.

There are 553 students at the school.

Waco fire units responded to the 9400 block of Chapel Road at about 9:10 a.m. after there was a report that a lawnmower had hit a gas meter and caused the leak.

Just minutes earlier firefighters were sent to 21st and Jefferson Avenue, in Waco, where a construction crew cut a gas line.

Waco assistant fire Chief Pat Kerwin said crews were able to quickly cap the cut line and there were no evacuations.


(Photo by Jim Peeler)
(Photo by Jim Peeler)
Firefighters were able to shut off the gas at the meter. (Photo by Jim Peeler)