Man Accused Of Killing 6 In Texas Suburb Collapses In Court

Ronald Lee Haskell (Jail photo)

SPRING (July 11, 2014) Ronald Lee Haskell, 33, who’s accused of killing six members of his ex-wife's sister’s family, including four children, collapsed in court Friday morning as a prosecutor recited the charges against him.

Haskell was in shackles and standing before a state district judge Friday during a probable cause hearing when he fell to the ground.

Deputies lifted him to his feet and Haskell stood for about another minute before collapsing again.

He was lifted into a chair and wheeled from the courtroom.

His court-appointed attorney, Doug Durham, said it appeared Haskell fainted.

Haskell was being treated at the Harris County jail, he said.

Durham says the defense will focus on Haskell's mental health.

Authorities say Haskell was searching for his ex-wife Wednesday when he shot the six family members in their home in the Houston suburb of Spring.

The only survivor was a 15-year-old girl whose skull was grazed and fractured by a bullet.

Cassidy Stay was released from the hospital on Friday.

Authorities identified the dead as Stephen Stay, 39, and Katie Stay, 33, and their sons, 4 and 14, and daughters, 7 and 9.

During a hearing Thursday prosecutors said Haskell tied up the victims, placed them face down and then shot each of them in the head execution-style.

Haskell was dressed as a FedEx driver when he kicked in the door of the home Wednesday afternoon in the 700 block of Leaflet Lane when a 15-year-old girl attempted to close it, according to information presented during a court hearing Thursday.

Haskell is accused of holding some of the children until Stephen and Katie Stay returned home with their other children.

He demanded to know the whereabouts of his estranged wife, identified as Katie Stays' sister, authorities said.

The teenager played dead until Haskell left and then called 911 to report that the gunman was going to her grandparents' home to kill more family members, authorities said.

The girl was able to identify the man and to tell authorities exactly where he was headed.

Police were able to intercept him before he reached his destination.

Haskell was cornered in a cul-de-sac about three miles from the shooting scene after a chase.

He held officers at bay for about three hours before surrendering.

FedEX said Haskell once was a delivery driver employed by a FedEX service provider, but has not driven for the company since January.

Meanwhile authorities in California authorities say Haskell's mother reported a physical argument with her son July 2 at her home in San Marcos, California.

Haskell finally left after a few hours and his mother called 911 and later obtained a restraining order against her son.