Overdose Sends 2 High School Students To Local Hospital

By: Sara Humphrey Email
By: Sara Humphrey Email
Two high school students were taken to a local hospital Thursday after taking a prescription drug given to them by a classmate.

(Photo by Sara Humphrey)


The Central Texas Poison Center at Scott & White in Temple says some teenagers try drugs without knowing what effect the drugs will have on them.

“It’s kind of an atmosphere of free will taking anything you want, the center's director, David Baker, says.

“There’s K-2, spice, bath salts, all these new things...no one has any clue why they are taking this stuff.”

Baker says students also take their parents’ prescription drugs and may also steal drugs from visiting relatives, either to take or to sell.

Baker says the center is staffed around the clock to take calls.

The center’s hotline is 1-800-222-1222.  (John Carroll)


 

 

WACO (December 12, 2013) Two Waco High School students were taken to a local hospital Thursday after taking a prescription drug that a classmate gave them.

The students were both reported to be unconscious as paramedics were dispatched to the school at around 3:30 p.m. Thursday.

Waco ISD spokesman Dale Caffey said they both took a prescription sleeping aid provided by a classmate.

They both regained consciousness en route to the hospital and will be OK, he said.

School officials will try to identify the student who provided the drug, he said.


KWTX-TV News 10 6700 American Plaza Waco, Texas 76712 (254) 776-1330 Fax (254) 751-1088
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 235649681 - kwtx.com/a?a=235649681