Partners Shot Alongside Slain Officers Received Similar Injuries

By  | 

KILLEEN (May 14, 2014) Nearly one week after being shot in the line of duty, 37-year-old Killeen SWAT Officer Odis Denton was escorted home by numerous emergency vehicles after spending days at the hospital.

Denton was shot alongside Police Detective Charles “Chuck” Dinwiddie, 47, last Friday as they and other SWAT officers served a narcotics search warrant at a Killeen apartment complex.

Dinwiddie died Sunday in the intensive care unit at Scott & White hospital.

One of the residents of the apartment, Marvin Louis Guy, 49, was arrested after the shooting and remains in the Bell County Jail charged with three counts of capital murder.

SWAT Officer Juan Obregon was at the apartment complex when the shooting took place. For him, it was a scene that was all too familiar.

“We heard ‘officer down’ then we heard the names and knowing these two guys really well just hit me like a truck right away," Obregon said.

In July of last year, Obregon was shot alongside SWAT Officer Bobby Hornsby, 32, when a Fort Hood soldier opened fire at police during a standoff at the Grandon Manor Apartments in Killeen.

A bullet shattered the femur in Obregon’s left leg. After surgery, he was unable to walk for weeks and underwent grueling therapy.

"The doctors told me that I wouldn't be able to do my job let alone be on the SWAT team anymore."

"I felt hopeless," Obregon said.

But Obregon overcame his immeasurable odds and returned to Killeen SWAT in early January.

However, the connections between Obregon and Denton’s injuries remain eerie.

Both were shot in the left leg, just millimeters shy of piercing the femoral artery, and both suffered shattered femurs. Even the same doctors operated on both Obregon and Denton.

"It's like the tape was rewound and different people were placed in the situation,” Obregon said.

“Him being hit in the leg, Chuck and Bobby being killed, it’s like a bad dream and we’re waiting to wake up."

Obregon made a point to visit Denton as soon as he could in the hospital.

“I wanted to see him, you know people always tell you stuff like ‘I know what you’re going through,’ when they really don’t. In this situation I had been in his shoes,” Obregon said.

“I knew what he was about to go through and I wanted to be there to lift him up.”

Obregon vows to uphold that promise; he wheeled Denton from the ambulance Wednesday to the front door of his home.

It was a small gesture showing Denton that he won’t pave his road to recovery alone.

"Being able to be there for him and push him up the driveway through those front doors, gave him the opportunity to see that his boys are here for him and that's what's going to get him through everything."