Police Recover 25,000 Quarters From Car That Crashed Along I-35

By  | 

WEST (May 14, 2013)—About 25,0000 quarters were recovered after a car driven by a suspect in a business break-in veered off an Interstate 35 overpass and crashed at the base of the bridge following a police pursuit through West, authorities said Tuesday.

A final count of the coins totaled nearly $6,500, about $2,500 more than authorities originally estimated, police said.

Kendrick Dmarcus Lawton, 29, of Dallas, was injured in the crash early last Wednesday and has since undergone several surgeries at Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center in Waco, where he was listed in good condition Tuesday, police said.

He has not been charged.

Lawton was trapped in the vehicle for almost an hour until firefighters freed him using the Jaws of Life.

Officers later recovered a large amount of cash and found enough quarters scattered throughout the inside of the wrecked car and on the ground outside of the vehicle to fill several large plastic bags, a West police report said.

The large plastic bank-type bags in which the quarters were being carried broke open in the crash and so many coins were strewn around the scene and inside the car that officers couldn’t recover all of them, the report says.

Officers also found a sledge hammer on the ground outside the car.

Inside the car they found two large pry bars, a PS3 game console, a Samsung Galaxy 2 smartphone and a T-Mobile WiFi hot spot device the report said.

The chase started after a West police officer spotted a suspicious vehicle pulling onto South George Kacir Drive from an auto parts store at around 2:25 a.m. last Wednesday.

The officer followed the car and attempted to stop the driver, who accelerated and turned onto West Mesquite Street, running a stop sign, turning onto South Harrison and then onto West Elm, cutting through a convenience store parking lot and pulling onto the northbound Interstate 35 access road.

The driver ran two more stop signs and sped out of sight of the officer, who abandoned the pursuit and returned to the auto parts store where the front door had been pried open and the cash register opened.

A short time later, at around 2:45 a.m. Wednesday, police received a report of a one-vehicle crash and discovered that the fleeing driver had lost control of his vehicle, which rolled down an embankment at the Marable Street overpass and came to rest at the base of the highway bridge.

Police found “a large amount” of cash in one of the man’s socks and a Department of Public Safety trooper recovered more cash at the hospital, the report said.