Smoky Fire Destroys Rural Central Texas Home

By: Nadia Galindo Email
By: Nadia Galindo Email
Three residents escaped safely after embers from a wood-burning stove ignited a grass fire that spread to a rural home Thursday afternoon.

(Photo by Nadia Galindo)

GHOLSON (December 20, 2012)--Three adults escaped from a burning mobile home Thursday afternoon near Gholson and were able to save a horse and a dog, but not a chicken that was penned in a nearby coop.

One of the three residents suffered smoke inhalation, however, and an ambulance was requested.

Firefighters from Gholson were sent at around 1:20 p.m. to the home in the 2000 block of Mary Ware Road, just northwest of Gholson, in response to the fire.

The first units on the scene quickly asked for help from other departments, including Elm Mott, Chalk Bluff, Gholson, West, Ross and Aquilla.

The residents told News 10 they believe that embers from the chimney of their wood burning stove started a grass fire and that the gusty wind spread the flames to the home.

A horse that was corralled outside the home suffered minor heat injuries, but was rescued from the flames by one of the residents.

A dog also was saved, but a chicken that was penned in an adjacent coop did not survive, the resident said.

A firefighter at the scene said the home was destroyed.

Smoke limited visibility in the area and sheriff's deputies closed some nearby roads while firefighters battled the blaze.


KWTX-TV News 10 6700 American Plaza Waco, Texas 76712 (254) 776-1330 Fax (254) 751-1088
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 184321361 - kwtx.com/a?a=184321361
Gray Television, Inc.