Soldier Sought In Local Woman’s Stabbing Death Arrested

David Michael Vega (Killeen police photo)

KILLEEN (October 11, 2012)—Fort Hood soldier David Michael Vega, 28, who’s wanted in a violent attack on Aug. 17 in which a Killeen woman was stabbed to death and her young son was injured, was in custody Thursday evening in Turlock, Calif.,

Vega was arrested early Thursday morning after a Turlock police officer spotted a suspicious gold Jeep Cherokee in a motel parking lot whose license plate turned out to have been stolen from another vehicle.

The officer checked the Jeep’s vehicle identification number and determined Vega was the owner and that the soldier was wanted for murder.

Police confirmed Vega was inside a room at the motel and a Tactical Response Team was deployed.

Other guests were evacuated, but Vega surrendered without incident at 6 a.m. CDT Thursday, Killeen police said.

He was held in the Stanislaus County Jail in Modesto, Calif., Thursday evening.

Police had been looking for Vega since early in the morning on Aug. 17 when officers were sent to a home in the 2400 block of Haven after a jogger and a neighbor reported hearing a woman scream.

The jogger went to a neighbor’s house for help and the two tried to get the victim to come to the door, but could not.

While the two were knocking on the door, a light inside the house came on and they saw a man inside whom they later described to police.

When officers arrived they began searching the area and as they looked through the windows of the house they saw Danielle Acosta-Guerrero, 30, lying on the floor.

Officers forced entry to the home and called Killeen Fire Department EMS.

Paramedics began performing CPR on the victim and transported her to a local hospital, where a short time later she was pronounced dead.

Her 6-year-old son suffered what police said were non-life-threatening injuries in the attack.

Vega fled from the residence just before officers arrived and had been on the run since then, police said.