LUBBOCK (March 19, 2014) Doctors examined at least 60 people at John B. Hood Junior High School in Odessa after a student showed with a bottle of toxic mercury.
Nobody was injured, but classes were canceled Wednesday for air quality testing.
The boy told administrators that he found the plastic bottle containing about an ounce of mercury in an alley on the way to school Tuesday.
Officials think the student poured the mercury on surfaces in the cafeteria and two classrooms.
Mercury is a naturally occurring element that can be absorbed through skin and mucous membranes.
It’s most dangerous when heated because vapors can be inhaled.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.