Students Evacuated After Smoke Fills Area School Building

By  | 

LOTT (August 27, 2014) Students were evacuated late Wednesday morning from Lott Elementary School after smoke filled the cafeteria just before lunchtime.

(Courtesy photo)

Workers in the secondary building that houses the cafeteria and the library were welding on an air conditioning unit when sparks from the torch caught some insulation on fire, JoAnne Sharp, administrative assistant to the superintendent of Rosebud-Lott ISD said Wednesday.

The 129 fourth through sixth grade students who attend the school were evacuated from the main building for about an hour as a precaution, she said.

No one was injured and there was no structural damage to the building.

Sharp said the secondary building will remain closed for the rest of the day.

A work crew was contacted to remove the smoke odor from the building because students will have to be able to eat lunch there on Thursday.

"We can't move the kitchen," she said.